27 August 2008

Yoga

I have never had an interest in yoga, but recently decided to give it a try. As would be expected, I have been doing a lot of research about Multiple Sclerosis lately. It turns out that people with MS who practice Yoga 2 to 3 times a week feel an average of 70% better than they did before they started practicing yoga. That 70% is all the convincing it took me to start yoga. I am really lucky to live four blocks from a great yoga studio (Centered City Yoga) that provides a variety of classes and is sensitive to my medical needs. My first class was yesterday. It was called "Yoga For Stiffer Bodies." Stiffer is really an understatement. However, when the session ended I felt looser. Looser is a term I now use to explain how my muscles are feeling. Most the time, they are pretty tight and stiff, but Yoga gave me some relief from the stiffness for a few days. It also made me sore. I never really considered yoga a form of exercise, but I stand corrected. Some of the poses made me sweat and I felt like I had been on an treadmill for an hour at the end of the class. As I learn more about yoga and the theory behind it I understand why it is beneficial. I am excited to feel 70% better and learn something new on my journey through MS.
Namaste'

1 comments:

Kristine said...

Hey, Libby, that's good. I'm also a recently converted yoga skeptic--it's not nearly as weeny as I used to think :)

I'm thinking of you often.