19 July 2008

National Air and Space Museum and Natural History Museum

Yesterday we went to the National Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum. Both museums are Smithsonian museums. I had no idea that The Smithsonian owned and operated seventeen different museums. I don't know how they do it, but there exhibits are amazing and very informative.

When we arrived at the National Air and Space Museum we immediately noticed the flight simulators. We both knew that we had to try it. The simulator we chose was an F-4 fighter plane with room for a pilot and a gunner. Because I am such an ace, I was the gunner. We had a short two minute training and we were ready for liftoff. Liftoff was the easy part, everything else was hard. I am pretty sure that we spent most of the five minute flight upside down or doing barrel rolls. Despite the crazy flight, we managed to kill four out of five enemy planes. Hooray for teamwork!

Last time I was at the Air and Space Museum, the original Wright Brothers Plane that they flew in 1903 was hanging from the ceiling in the front foyer. Now there is a whole exhibit dedicated to the Wright Brothers and their first plane. The plane is now on the floor, enabling you to walk around it. There is also an explanation of what the plane is made of and how it works. It is amazing that with wire, wood, and cloth, the Wright Brothers created an airplane.

It was a long day, but we got to see and experience some amazing things. The National Air and Space Museum and Natural History Museum are so full of information and activities that we feel we would have to go back again and again to fully appreciate it.

0 comments: