Most women describe the feeling of a baby inside them as having butterflies fluttering around in their stomach. Libby relates to having an over-sized goldfish swimming around inside. This process of the quickening has intensified and only a few nights ago I felt my baby girl for the first time.
She seems strong to me though I don't know how strong babies should be halfway through a pregnancy. I felt the sharp jab beneath the skin as the baby's foot collided with the uterus. Thoughts of a professional athlete, perhaps a soccer player, popped into my head. I could see a young athletic version of my daughter sprinting down a soccer pitch about to give flight to a black and white ball. My thoughts were interrupted by more temporary protrusions on Libby's stomach. Not only is she strong, my little girl has some endurance. She consistently kicked hard for a half hour before stopping her tirade.
These episodes have started to follow a routine now as our little girl has decided that the best time to kick mommy is right before she goes to sleep. Of course Libby has started to endure the daily thrashing with ease, but it still keeps her up until baby is satisfied with the beating.
A few weeks ago, Libby and I were worried about the baby getting enough nutrients. As the baby continues to grow Libby has actually been losing weight. However, our worries were laid to rest with our monthly visit to the doctor's office.
"Don't take this the wrong way, but your baby is kind of like a ..... parasite. You see, babies have a way of getting all the nutrition they need by leaching off the mother's body even though the mother might not be getting the nutrients that she needs."
While I think the doctor's description is accurate, I would prefer to think of my baby in a different light. Instead of a parasite, I believe she is simply the priority by design. As such she has grown strong and healthy despite Libby's sometimes constant aversion to food. Our heavenly father is taking care of our baby for which we are eternally grateful.
22 February 2010
Our Baby Girl
Posted by Libby and Dustin at 8:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
"but your baby is kind of like a ..... parasite."
Don't worry, Dustin--I'm sure she'll be cuter than a tapeworm :)
A very sweet post; thanks for the update!
A girl! Hooray! I'm so excited for you guys. Thanks for the update.
Post a Comment