21 September 2008

Work\Health Update

Four weeks ago school (work for me) started here in the Salt Lake City School District. I would be lying if I said I was not nervous regarding my ability to work full time. The good news is that I have not missed one day of work! Dustin and I consider this quite an accomplishment and are grateful for the energy and health I have been blessed with. The only work I have missed is for doctor appointments that were made previous to the start of school.
I work at Northwest Middle School in Rose Park. For those of you who do not know, Rose Park is considered the "hard core" inner city part of Salt Lake. Northwest is comprised of 75% Hispanics, 10% Caucasians, 8% African-Americans, and 7% other. (Mostly refugees form various parts of Africa, Thailand, Bosnia, Pakistan, and other countries) I am a Para-Professional in the self contained behavior classroom. My supervising teacher is a wonderful teacher who has amazing classroom management skills. The bedrock to running an effective classroom and being an effective teacher is classroom management. The class is for seventh and eighth graders who display behavior that violates the "safe school policy." Currently the class has six students and they are meshing well.
I am looking forward to a great year working full time at Northwest. If I am successful, I will be looking into a full time teaching position next year. I am grateful for my health, my family, my wonderful husband, and all the people supporting me in my endeavors. Love to all.
Libby

1 comments:

Natalie Petersen said...

Hey Libs. I am so glad to have found your blog. Now I can keep my eye on you and see what you and Dustin are up to. Happy Birthday by the way. I saw marthas post and love the picture of you guys. So CUTE! Anyways, hope you are doing well. Glad to hear the update on your health and work. You are so impresive and amazing. Lots of love.